Golden Girls Update

Dear Beth,

Please help me update my Miami home.  I am a retired schoolteacher sharing a home with two senior widows and my 90 year-old mother.  Despite our age, we lead very active, shoulder-padded lifestyles!  You could even say these are our "golden" years.  At any rate, the home is owned by my friend and roommate, Blanche, and well, it's a little too 80's now.  Please help us bring this room into the twenty-first century while still paying homage to our Miami lifestyle.

Sincerely,
Dorothy Zbornak



Dorothy, I'm SO happy you wrote.  In fact, I've been waiting for your email.  Here it is, in all it's AARP-perfection!



Sofa
Blue Silk Pillow
Miami Pillow
Agate Side table
Rug
Driftwood Coffee Table
Wicker chair
Palm Pillow
Floral Club Chair
Daybed
Wallpaper
Bookcase
Blanche Portrait
Gold Pineapple

The Golden Girls was a once-in-a-lifetime show, so naturally I needed to give them an equally unforgettable space.  It's bright, sexy, ditsy and irreverent just like Dorothy, Blanche, Rose and Sophia respectively.  But it's also very ¿Bienvenido a Miami, no?

First, I threw out the notion to put huge-ass palm trees in the room because that's just too obvious.  Instead, I chose the Martinique wallpaper for instant impact and a bit of that 80's excess vibe.  I wanted to keep some of the pink tones of the original room, so I chose a geometric Madeline Weinrib rug that felt similar to the pattern in the sofa set.  For the new sofa, however, I wanted to go solid to offset the pattern insanity.

For more beachiness I added the driftwood coffee table and the wicker side chair.  To tie in all the pastels from the original room, I added, yes, more pattern by way of the club chair and the daybed.  Blanche just needs a daybed, the silly slut. 

And to top it all off, I couldn't resist adding a few signature golden touches in the agate side table and the pineapple, which if you didn't already know, is a symbol of friendship in the South.  And what home would be complete without a portrait of Blanche herself?  I suggest you all go out and buy one immediately.






Pin It!

2 comments:

Anna Rose said...

beth - this is freaking fantastic. love that you're now on my interior blog rundown for the morning.
hope you're well!!!

Beth said...

Thanks so much, Anna! I'm a sucker for a compliment :) I hope you're well too and so glad you like the blog! Feel free to share!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...